Transgender Laws Kelsey Holzinger Ivy Tech Community College
INTASC Standards, Description, and Rationale • Standard #2 Learning Differences: The teacher uses understanding of individual differences and diverse cultures and communities to ensure inclusive learning environments that enable each learner to meet high standards. • Name of Artifact: Contemporary Issues Project • Date: November 7, 2013 • Course: EDUC 101 • Description: I will conduct research on an educational current event. I will evaluate the way that people are changing schools in order to accommodate all students and create a PowerPoint to inform the class of my findings. • Rationale: This project helps me to understand the individual differences and diverse cultures of all students. It will explain how schools are trying to make sure all students who are transgender will feel comfortable with themselves in a school setting and be able to do well in school.
Background • Introduced February 2013 by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano • School Success and Opportunity Act signed by Governor Jerry Brown on August 12, 2013 • Created to allow transgender students to: • Use all facilities • Participate in all school programs and activities • Goes into effect January 1, 2014
California Assembly Bill No. 1266 “AB 1266, Ammiano. Pupil rights: sex-segregated school programs and activities. Existing law prohibits public schools from discriminating on the basis of specified characteristics, including gender, gender identity, and gender expression, and specifies various statements of legislative intent and the policies of the state in that regard. Existing law requires that participation in a particular physical education activity or sport, if required of pupils of one sex, be available to pupils of each sex. This bill would require that a pupil be permitted to participate in sex-segregated school programs and activities, including athletic teams and competitions, and use facilities consistent with his or her gender identity, irrespective of the gender listed on the pupil’s records.”
The Positive Impact • No cost • Ensure that all students are treated equally • Ashton Lee, 16 year-old from Manteca, California says, “If the bill is overturned, it would be a huge blow to me, and I fear that I would have to return to pretending to be someone I’m not at school.”
The Negative Impact • Assemblyman Tim Donnelly states, “While trying to address a concern of less than 2% of the population, California is now forcibly violating the rights of the other 98%.” • Florence High School in Florence, Colorado has received numerous complaints from female students and their parents about harassment from a transgender boy.
Current News • Privacy for all Students submitted 620,000 signatures to get the initiative on the November 2014 ballot. • Needed 505,000 signatures in 90 days • Signatures still need to be verified • http://www.10news.com/news/california-transgender-law-could-face-ballot-initiative-102213
Discussion Questions • How do you think people will react to this law if it is passed or if it is repealed? • What do you think schools can do to accommodate children who are transgender if the law is passed or repealed?
References Andersen, K. (2013, October 17). LifeSiteNews Mobile | ‘Transgender’ boy accused of harassing girls in the restroom at Colorado school: school denies. Retrieved from http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/transgender-boy-accused-of-harassing-girls-in-the-restroom- at-colorado-scho California Legislative Information (2013, August 12). Bill Text - AB-1266 Pupil rights: sex-segregated school programs and activities. Retrieved from http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB1266 Chen, M. (2013, October 22). 10News - California transgender law could face ballot initiative - 10News.com - News. Retrieved from http://www.10news.com/news/california-transgender-law- could-face-ballot-initiative-102213 Fox News (2013, August 17). California lawmaker pulls son from class over transgender law | Fox News. Retrieved from http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/17/california-lawmaker-pulls-son-from- class-over-transgender-law/ Molloy, P. M. (2013, November 1). The Growing Battle Over Transgender Student Rights in California | Politics News | Rolling Stone. Retrieved from http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the- growing-battle-over-transgender-student-rights-in-california-20131101 The Associated Press (2013, November 10). Calif. transgender law's opponents petition for repeal. Retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/10/group-calif- transgender-law-repeal-will-qualify/3490957/ Transgender Law Center (2013, August 12). VICTORY! CA Bill Will Ensure the Success and Well-being of Transgender Students | Transgender Law Center. Retrieved from http://transgenderlawcenter.org/archives/3544